An automatic transmission that does not work properly is a total nightmare for the car owner. You are not able to drive the car at all. It is big, heavy and very hard to remove from its current location. And it was expensive as well. The cost of the new transmission is quite high. So the only feasible option left is to buy used transmissions for sale.
But there is a catch. Buying a used transmission is not as easy as getting a new set of tyres or changing the oil in yours. There are certain things you need to keep in mind before purchasing used transmissions for sale. This article helps you guide around ways in which you can purchase a used transmission that is a suitable and perfect fit for your car.
Table of Contents
Things to Keep in Mind Before Starting Search for Used Transmissions For Sale
Purchasing a used transmission for sale is not very hard but it needs patience and some very important information which you may not require while purchasing any other auto part. The first step is to collect all the information related to your vehicle. Below is a list of some of the information that is required for this process:
- Vehicle information such as make, model, year, and trim.
- Engine information like engine displacement, engine type engine fuel type (gasoline, diesel, electric, hybrid), and several cylinders.
- Vehicle information like trim type (sedan or coupe), and the number of doors.
- Drivetrain information like whether it is all-wheel drive (AWD), four-wheel drive (4WD), front-wheel drive (FWD), or 4×4.
Searching for Vehicle Data Like An Expert
At first, the amount of information required about your vehicle may look very overwhelming and that’s normal. Some tricks will ease the entire process of finding information related to your vehicle. Professionals at auto repair shops use a unique number for a vehicle that contains all the information related to your vehicle. This number is known as a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). VIN is a 16-digit code that is used by car makers across the globe and stores plenty of useful information including the specifications of the vehicle.
Finding the VIN number on your vehicle is quite easy. Simply stand in front of the car and look at the bottom-right corner of the windshield on the driver’s side. Here, you will see a rectangular sticker or a metal plaque on the dashboard that has a 16-digit alphanumeric code. Apart from this, you can look at the stickers that are located at the pillars of the door.
Once you are able to locate the VIN of your vehicle, all you have to do is use the free VIN decoders that are available online to get all the relevant information about your vehicle.
Purchasing Used Transmissions for Sale
Searching for a used transmission for sale that is perfectly suitable for your vehicle can be a time-consuming process, especially if you plan to visit every store in person. It is highly advisable to find the used transmission for sale online. It will save time and money as long as you follow the right advice.
Purchasing Used Transmission for Sale from Private Sellers
Purchasing a used transmission for sale online is the same as purchasing any other product online. Credibility is the key factor to consider while purchasing a used transmission online. It is of utmost importance to check the credibility of the seller. It is best to purchase a used transmission from a reputable seller even if you need to pay slightly more for it.
Purchasing Used Transmission for Sale From Specific Used Auto Parts Stores
As credibility is highly important, it is best to invest time in researching and finding reputable websites to get your desired used transmission. Below listed are some of the many advantages of purchasing a used transmission for sale from a reputable site:
- Reputable companies usually test transmissions before removing them from the vehicle ensuring it’s completely functional.
- Automatic transmissions are bulky and heavy. A huge benefit of buying from used auto part stores is that they can handle shipping for you.
- No matter what, always check if the company is accredited by national associations. Searching for user reviews online is also a great idea. Remember, credibility always comes first.
Pro Tips When Searching For Transmissions For Sale
Irrespective of whether you are purchasing used transmission online or offline, we have some tips for you to follow:
- Opt for companies that offer free doorstep delivery of the used transmission.
- Check if the transmission comes with all the sensors. Automatic transmission sensors are quite expensive. Be aware of “good deals” marketed transmissions as they do not include sensors.
- Follow the steps that are mentioned in this blog to know exactly what you are looking for. The whole process can be quite overwhelming.